Virtual Digital Mailboxes in Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
"Snail mail" has finally reached the Web!
Beach Mailbox and Gifts offers traditional Mailbox Rentals, but we are also one of the first postal centers in San Diego to offer Virtual Digital Mailboxes, starting as low as $9.99 per month.*
Read below for details. or, SIGN UP NOW!
* Incremental charges apply for scanning, shredding and mail forwarding.
What is a Virtual Mailbox?
Let's face it. The mail you receive via the U.S. Postal Service is starting to look pretty "old school." But, it's not going away anytime soon. The good news is that mail delivery is being revolutionized with new online platforms that allow you to view and manage your mail—without ever touching an envelope—all from your PC, smartphone or tablet. We use the Anytime Mailbox platform, which is one of the most popular and fastest-growing digital mailbox services.
When you sign up for a digital mailbox from Beach Mailbox and Gifts, you get a street address in Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA that allows you to have mail and packages sent to us. Once we receive an item, you are notified and can use the online app to decide what to do with it.
How does a Virtual Mailbox work?
- We receive your mail from the USPS, take a picture of the outside of envelopes and packages, and upload them to your portal on the Web.
- You choose what to do with each piece of mail or package:
- Open and scan the contents so you can read your letters (25 cents per page scanning fee)
- Forward the mail and packages you need to keep (service and postage fees apply)
- Shred sensitive documents that have personal identifying information (10 cents per page)
- Recycle any junk mail or mail that doesn't pose a risk of identity theft—FREE!
How do I get started?
- Sign up online from our Beach Mailbox Virtual Registration page. Choose month-to-month or save with an annual subscription. There are 3 plan options (Sun, Surf, and Sand) based on your volume of mail.
- Choose a mailbox number at our address. For example, your new address would be
864 Grand Ave # 8XX
San Diego, CA 92109
- Provide your credit card for billing.
- Have your ID verified and 1583 form notarized either by a local or Anytime Mailbox's online notary service.
- Update senders with your new address or submit a Change-of-Address form on USPS.com.
- Start receiving your mail at our address, and we will upload a picture of each mail piece.
- View and manage your mail by logging on to your "virtual mailbox" online from your phone, tablet or PC.
All of this can be done from any device with an Internet connection. Whether you live locally, across the country, or overseas, you can now have a digital mailbox at Beach Mailbox and Gifts in Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA. We’ll make managing your mail and packages as simple as sending a text or posting on Facebook.
Q. If I live in San Diego, can I still get a virtual mailbox, and just pick up my mail in person from time-to-time?
A. Yes, absolutely. Our business hours are 9:00am - 5:30pm Mon-Fri, and 10:00 - 2:00pm on Saturday. We are closed on Sundays.
Q. What is the turn-around time for scanning a letter
A. We promise to fulfill scan requests within 24 hours of the request. If the request is made on Saturday, it will be completed on Monday, as we are closed on Sundays. If you have an urgent need to view the contents of a letter right away, please send us an email and we will respond as quickly as possible.
Q. How do you handle packages?
A. If you live nearby, you can pick up your packages during our normal business hours. If you live further away, we can forward your packages to you using a pre-paid label you provide for a service charge of $3. Or, we can ship with our postage fees plus a $3 for handling.
Q. Can more than one person receive mail at my virtual mailbox?
A. Yes! We allow up to 3 individuals per virtual mailbox. Each person must provide 2 forms of ID and get a signed USPS Form 1583. To get started, choose one person to be the primary mailbox holder. Sign up, and then email us requesting to add another user. We will send you the appropriate forms and get you set up.
Q. How much does it cost to have my mail forwarded?
A. It depends on the amount of mail. There is a $1.00 per item service fee up to 5 items per forwarding request, so the maximum fee is $5.00 each time we send your mail. Plus, you pay postage costs. We always send your mail using a "trackable" method. Postage fees typically range between $6.00 - $12.00 per forwarding request. To save you money, it's best to wait and have us send 5 or more items at a time via Flat Rate envelope. If you need something overnight, postage may be significantly higher. So, ask us for a quote before we send. Postage fees for packages are based on weight and size of the item. We're happy to provide you options based on your timeframe and budget.
Q. Can you keep my mail there indefinitely?
A. The system is designed to make sure you handle your mail in a timely manner, and that we don't get overloaded with envelopes! After 30 days, the system automatically charges a 5 cents per item per week storage fee. To avoid this fee, be sure to choose to have us recycle, shred, or forward all mail before the 30 days is up. Scanned items still need to be recycled, shredded or forwarded within 30 days or they will incur the storage fee.
Q. Who sees my mail?
A. Beach Mailbox Virtual is a service offered by Beach Mailbox and Gifts. We are a locally-owned small private mailbox and shipping center in Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA, USA. There are currently only 2 of us—Rita and Sema—who handle your mail. Rest assured that your mail is safe, secure, and private!
Q. What if I decide to close my mailbox?
If you decide you no longer need a virtual mailbox, simply send us an email and request that we cancel the service. If you do receive mail after your mailbox is closed, we will notify you by email for 30 days and forward your mail with payment via credit card. After 30 days, we will return to sender. Please note that the U.S. Postal Service does not accept a "Change of Address" when you close your mailbox with us. We recommend you plan ahead and notify the people and businesses who send you mail of your new address.